I think some of the cards use the GPUs for scaling video (and perhaps other optimizations). Kind of like the nice upscaling done by some DVD players.  Nvidia calls it PureVideo:

"And the high-precision subpixel processing enables videos to be scaled to any size, so that even small videos look like they were recorded in high-resolution."

I'm sure ATI has something similar? I would guess that this kind of thing could also be used for other things sent to it?