On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 01:51:03PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>    I think some of the cards use the GPUs for scaling video (and perhaps
>    other optimizations). Kind of like the nice upscaling done by some DVD
>    players.? Nvidia calls it PureVideo:
>    [1]http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo.html
>    "And the high-precision subpixel processing enables videos to be scaled to
>    any size, so that even small videos look like they were recorded in
>    high-resolution."
>    I'm sure ATI has something similar? I would guess that this kind of thing
>    could also be used for other things sent to it?
>    On Mar 31, 2006, at 11:33 AM, Brian Paul wrote:
>
>      John Kheit wrote:
>
>        Sorry Brian, I should have been more specific.? I mean more as a final
>        output onto a screen.? Using an LCD/CRT's individual RGB subpixels to
>        antialiasing (or some form of screen output enhancement). It seems a
>        lot of the 3D stuff in the GPU is already employing sub-pixel
>        coordinates, so it would be nice if the actual output to the screen
>        would take advantage of that.
>
>      AFAIK, nobody's hardware does that.
>      When that kind of antialiasing is done for text, I think it's the job of
>      the font rendering code to do so.

Is the original author talking about Cleartype-style antialiasing? (ie
using the RGB subpixels to get more {usually horizontal} resolution in
text rendering).

Sounds like something you could do with a pixel shader perhaps.
Straight alpha-blending with the RENDER extension is already
accelerated on most hardware supported by DRI isn't it?

Phil