On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 22:57:21 +0200
Rune Petersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Roland Scheidegger wrote:
> > Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> >> Just thought I'd post some updated benchmarks of Doom3.  These
> >> were all run with the first timedemo at 640x480, and (for the open
> >> source drivers) with ColorTiling turned on in the xorg.conf file.
> >> I'll list all tests with the open source drivers first:
> >>
> >> x700 + r300 (with arb renderer) - 5.5 FPS (There's not much point
> >> in testing it with the r200 or arb2 renderers at the moment.)
> > What's the problem with arb2?
>
> fragment.position input is not implemented yet. fglrx driver parses it
> from VP to FP via a texcoord route. I've been hitting my head on this
> for some time. Only got as far as only getting a soft lockup which
> isn't very useful.
>
> > The r300 driver does not
> > currently support the r200 render path (and I doubt it will in the
> > future - there's just not enough interest in supporting ATI_fs on
> > r300 which is not widely used).
> >
> >> 9000 (with arb renderer) - 15.9 9000 (with r200 renderer) - 15.4
> >>
> >> The huge performance increase I get by using an r200 card is
> >> pretty consistent with what I see in other games.
> > There seems to be some performance problems with the r300 driver. I
> > don't think anyone knows what's going on but I could be wrong...
>
> I have seen some strange slowdowns not caused bu any apparent fallback
> (Nexiuz w/bloom) though I could have missed a fallback path.

Light bloom usually need render to texture type of functionality which
in turn needs accelerated CopyTexSubImage2D or ReadPixels. These are
implemented using the span functions currently.
CopyTexSubImage2D cannot be accelerated because we need to update copy
of the texture kept in system memory(for raster fallbacks).
Secondly, normal bitblt cannot be used to perform these operations
since it doesn't support necessary pitches and offsets - x/y tricks used
in r300_texmem.c will not work as r300 tends to think that micro tile
starts at given offset. dxtn happens to be broken because we cant do
micro tiling on normal textures.
I tried implementing blits using 3d engine and textures but I ran into
trouble with clip rects so I had to give up. Buffer swaps
work fine with it though.

--
Aapo Tahkola