On 5/14/08, Dave Airlie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was hoping that by now, one of the radeon or nouveau drivers would have
>  adopted TTM, or at least demoed something working using it, this hasn't
>  happened which worries me, perhaps glisse or darktama could fill in on
>  what limited them from doing it. The fencing internals are very very scary
>  and seem to be a major stumbling block.

Aside from the fencing code, I have some othern more general, concerns
with respect to using TTM on recent hardware. Although I've raised
them before, it was on IRC, not really on the list.

The main issue in my opinion, is that TTM enforces most things to be
done form the kernel, and how those things should be done: command
checking with relocations, fence emission, memory moves... Depending
on the hardware functionality available, this might be useless or even
counter-productive.

Also, I'm concerned about handling chips that can do page faults in
video memory. It is interesting to be able to use this feature (which
was asked for by the windows guys). For example we could have the
ability to have huge textures paged in progressively at the memory
manager level.

So to me the current TTM design lacks enough flexibility for recent
chip features. I'm not saying all of this has to be implemented now,
but it should not be prevented by the design. After all, if the memory
manager is here to stay, I'd say it needs to be future-proof.

Stephane