On Mon, 19 May 2008 03:49:04 -0700 (PDT)
Keith Whitwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't actually think the problem is solvable for buffer-based memory
> managers -- the best we can do is spot the failure and recover, either early
> as the commands are submitted by the API, or some point later, and for some
> meaning of 'recover' (eg - fail cleanly, fallback, use-smaller-mipmaps,
> disable texturing, etc).

For radeon the plan was to return error from superioctl as during superioctl
and validation i do know
if there is enough gart/vram to do the things. Then i think it's up to upper
level to properly handle
such failure from superioctl

> The only real way to solve it is to move to a page-based virtualizaization of
> GPU memory, which requires hardware support and isn't possible on most cards.
>  Note that this is different from per-process GPU address spaces, and is a
> signficantly tougher problem even on supporting hardware.
>
> Note there are two concepts with similar common names:
>
>    - virtual GPU memory -- ie per-context page tables, but still a
> buffer-based memory manager, textures pre-loaded into GPU memory prior to
> command execution
>
>    - virtualized GPU memory -- as above, but with page faulting, typically
> IRQ-driven with kernel assistance.  Parts of textures may be paged in/out as
> required, according to the "memory access" patterns of active shaders.
>
> It's not clear to me which of the above the r300 & nv people are aiming at,
> but in my opinion the latter is such a significant departure from what we
> have been thinking about that I have always believed it should be addressed
> by a new set of interfaces.

My understanding of future hw is that we are heading to virtualized GPU memory
(IRQ assistance for
page fault).

Cheers,
Jerome Glisse