> For radeon the plan was to return error from superioctl as during
> superioctl and validation i do know if there is enough gart/vram to do
> the things. Then i think it's up to upper level to properly handle such
> failure from superioctl

You really want to work this out in advance, at superioctl stage it is too
late, have a look at the changes I made to the dri_bufmgr.c classic memory
manager case to deal with this for Intel hw, if you got to superioctl and
failed unwrapping would be a real pain in the ass, you might have a number
of pieces of app state you can't reconstruct. I think DirectX handled this
with cut-points where with the buffer you passed the kernel a set of
places it could break the batch without too much effort. I think we are
better just giving the mesa driver a limit and when it hits that limit it
submits the buffer. The kernel can give it a new optimal limit at any
point and it should use that as soon as possible. Nothing can solve Ians
problems where the app gives you a single working set that is too large at
least with current GL. However you have to deal with the fact that
batchbuffer has many operations and the total working set needs to fit in
RAM to be relocated. I've added all the hooks in dri_bufmgr.c for non-TTM
case, TTM shouldn't be a major effort to add.

> My understanding of future hw is that we are heading to virtualized GPU
> memory (IRQ assistance for page fault).

I think we'll have this for r700, not sure i965 does this, r500 has I
think per-process GART.

Dave.