On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 06:58:44AM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
| All I've got is the glXMakeCurrent error to go on,
|     GLXBadCurrentWindow is generated if there are pending GL  commands  for
|        the  previous  context  and the current drawable is a window that is no
|        longer valid.

I'm unsure what the intent was there, because the GLX spec never defines
"valid" and uses it in several different ways.  (For example, "valid"
PBuffers are different from "valid" windows are different from windows
with "valid" XIDs.)

| Now if something was meant to implicitly flush the command stream on
| window teardown then how would this ever happen.

On the other hand, if there's no mechanism for implicitly flushing the
GL command stream on window teardown, then whatever problems this error
is designed to address can happen every time a window is closed.  I
would expect to find something in the spec that says "You must execute
(SwapBuffers|Flush|Finish...) before destroying a bound window or
such-and-such bad things can happen."  Trivial test programs would have
been failing since day one.

What happens when one X client destroys a window that another one is
using for GL rendering?  The destruction of the window has to be
postponed until it's no longer bound to an RC, or the GL command queue
has to be redirected to a black hole, or GL rendering has to be
terminated by error somehow.  Or something else.

So my guess would still be that a mechanism has to exist, but maybe I've
missed the key phrases in the spec.

Ian, your knowledge of this stuff is a lot more recent than mine .  Any
advice?

Allen