Hi Davi,

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 01:58:51PM -0300, Davi Arnaut wrote:
>     Have you given thought to the alternative of making drizzle_st a opaque
>    type? and adding the ability to pass allocators..

Originally, all the structures were opaque types for better binary
compatibility and I was going to rely on normal allocation or linking
with better allocators. A few folks really wanted to be able to have
stack allocated objects (without using alloca()) or objects allocated
with higher level structs. This is when they were exposed. Personally
I'm a fan of keeping them opaque.

As far as custom allocators, there was going to be support for
custom allocators in some of the result set processing, but I was
not thinking about the actual objects. This makes a lot more sense
if we make everything opaque.

I think because of folks wanting to use simple stack allocated objects
we won't be able to switch to opaque structs, but I do like the idea
you propose.

Thanks!
-Eric

_______________________________________________
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~drizzle-discuss
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~drizzle-discuss
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to