Hi David,

Yes, DSpace is being used as a data repository in various places, the most
well-known example is probably the Dryad data repository
(https://datadryad.org) .
In terms of supporting different formats (and file sizes), that's not a
hard limitation, but depending on how much interactive/preview type
functionality you want, some extra development might be needed.
The other thing to think about is metadata schemas you want to use for
items.. whether using the DSpace registry, including as additional XML, or
both...
If you're wanting to compare DSpace to other open source systems, another
platform is CKAN which was designed to focus more on data / datasets.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Kim