On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 07:50:47AM +1200, Kim Shepherd wrote:
> Is it because the way the exporter works with the simple packages, and the
> output structure of "a directory or zip full of files", or "a file", that
> to export a community would end up losing structure of the subcommunities,
> collections, etc? As in, they'd get flattened into the one directory, or
> you'd have to implement something new to try and get container
> relationships in there.

Aha!  Yes, the SAF exporter doesn't write the 'collections' file.
Thank you.  That would be simple to fix....

Actually having the structure set up is another matter, but I have a
patch (https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1443) to add structure
*export* to the structure-builder.  It's been handy locally on several
occasions.

> As opposed to "Packager" for full AIP and other dissemination types.

I've tried using AIPs for exporting a content-free set of test data
but ran into problems.  https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-4243

> I can see community / site export in the simple exporter would be useful
> for big replace or delete operations (where the parent container doesn't
> really matter so much)...

My usual use case is that I need a large volume of Items for testing
something, or (as at the moment) I need to have the repo. content
match the statistics core for testing *that*.  So I want to dump a
sizable live site, but I *don't* want to dump or load the actual
content (because it would be huge).

> How would you add the containers in? Maybe a mapfile (as with ItemImport)
> could be created on export (I think that's useful anyway), and then be able
> to add 'owning container' as a column. Still wouldn't provide a full backup
> like the packager though.. just knowledge of where individual items were.

Actually, SAF already defines a 'collections' file:  a list of all the
collections which contain the Item, with the first being the owning
Collection.  I think this must have been added after the basic design
was laid down, so that some corners of the tools don't know about it
yet.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst