I'm going to throw my $.03 into this.

It seems that it would be a better set of tools to have all command line scripts be "menued" when possible. Now, that sounds a little advanced, but it is
the 21st century.

Many DSpace administrators out there aren't Unix Administrators, and have a difficult time with running shells. Thank goodness Dspace isn't on a mainframe
and we have to write JCL to submit jobs!

So why couldn't all the scripts be places somewhere and have an overlaying
menu to deliver the choice to the user.  Granted you might have to use
ncurses to create such a menu and it might involve C programming.  But
is that really all that wrong when you consider what it is we are doing
for the greater good?

|                     DSPACE MENU                       |
|        CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING TO RUN             |
|                                                       |
| 1 > Batch Import              5 > Re-Index            |
|                                                       |
| 2 > Batch Export              6 > Index Update        |
| 3 > Checksum Checker          7 > Filter Media        |
| 4 > DSpace Info               8 > Item Counter        |
| Enter your choice and press <ENTER>: __               |

Then it doesn't matter what's "under the hood".

Okay, I'll go back to the rock from whence I came.

Jeff