On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 08:58:08AM -0700, Mark Diggory wrote:
> I keep seeking a spot to jump in here and have about 4 unsent versions of

Go for it!

> Owning Collections are used for Inheritance of permissions. IMO, linking
> should have been better accomplished so that there was a clear difference
> between a "Link" and the Original Item in a Collection. Likewise, placing a
> collection into two separate communities is possible in the API, but never
> used, theres another dark spot for review, I'm sure there would be unintended
> consequences to delegated authorization.

But we don't have dynamic inheritance of permissions, so this
"ownership" relationship is only instantaneously useful, at the moment
that the Item is created.  Is there really any need to preserve it?
Apparently it doesn't really have anything to do with ownership, but
only with having a handy place to keep defaults.

I don't think Item ownership should be clarified; I think it should be
abolished.  We pay too much for a momentary convenience.

> TBH, the cases I've seen for using Item Mapping seem to have more to do with
> grouping on departmental metadata than a need to actually have an item in two
> separate collections.  Cases such as MITs thesis collections show us that
> having the same collection of items grouped under two different communities
> is really the maintainers attempt to deal with an inflexible system of
> presentation and classification (Community/Collection hierarchy) than any
> real need to actually place an item into two separate collections.  I'd love
> to hear other example where folks actually think mapping items is actually
> not a kludge to group items to present under "Scholarly Department X" vs
> "Library Thesis Community Y".

That's a good question.  Someday when we have a revised data model
that lets us do this in a more natural way, we'll be blessed; in the
meantime, however, people do use mapping and it might be worth some
small effort to make it less hairy.  (Thinking back to tinkering with
directories directly in FILES-11B filesystems and how I'd hoped to
never again see links done that way.  Having one apparently
undistinguished link actually be different from all the others makes
things remarkably ugly.)

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.