As usual, I want to quibble about terms.  To me, an "event" is
something that has already happened and I (as an event consumer) am
merely being notified that it has happened.  So event notices can be
delivered whenever we get around to it.

OTOH code which wants to participate in the event from a distance, as
it were, I would probably refer to as a "listener".  It is called
right now.  It should be able to throw an exception if it needs to
make the operation fail.

It's not at all unreasonable that a particularly interesting bit of
code would begin an operation, do some stuff, call any listeners
(possibly handling any returned exception), do some more stuff, clean
up, and fire an event to let interested parties know it all happened.
There might be multiple listener types and events at various points in
the process.

So, rather than having Events and Events, immediate and possibly not,
it might be clearer to give distinct names to calls for notification
and calls for participation.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.