At scholarworks.iupui.edu the communities have each their own
champion(s) in various academic departments.  They establish their own
policies and standards, and I honestly don't know what their workflows
look like.

When we have someone who wants to load big batches, I ask for a CSV in
a particular structure.  Usually the submitter uses a spreadsheet to
compose the metadata and then exports the CSV -- again, that part is
up to the submitter, though we suggest things we've seen work well
before.  I run a little Perl script to create an item-importer batch,
and then a little shell script to drive the item importer (so I don't
have to remember all the options).

I always do a test run of the import, because people are ingenious at
thinking of ways to code metadata that will result in invalid XML
despite my Perl script's best efforts to catch them. :-/  I may just
fix something obvious, or request interpretation from the submitter.

Right now I'm receiving batches of scanned journal back-issues, one
volume per batch, each issue packed into a single PDF, about once a
week.  On other projects we've received individual batches of 100-200
items.  After the metadata cleanup it seems to work well enough that I
haven't spent any more time looking for improvements.  (I'm always
happy to learn of better ways, though.)

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.