DSpace Users & Developers,

We wanted to inform you that we will be performing an upgrade of our
DuraSpace Wiki (http://wiki.duraspace.org) on:

Friday, September 28 from 2:00pm - 3:00pm EDT (18:00 - 19:00 UTC)

During this period, all areas of the Wiki will be UNAVAILABLE for
reading or editing.

The purpose of this upgrade is to update us to the latest and greatest
version of Atlassian Confluence (version 4.3.1).

This upgrade will bring with it one significant change and also add many
new features to our DuraSpace Wiki. See below for more details.

== Significant Change: No More "Wiki Markup" Editor ==

With Confluence 4.x, Atlassian decided to move all editing over to their
brand new (and vastly improved) "Rich Text Editor". You are still able
to type Wiki Markup into the Rich Text editor. But, editing an existing
page via the Wiki Markup Editor is no longer possible.

More info for the Techies: The underlying format which Confluence uses
to store its pages has changed to XHTML from Wiki Markup. You will still
have the ability to directly edit a page's XHTML if you desire, but the
old Wiki Markup editor no longer exists.

== Many New Confluence Features Available ==

With this upgrade, we will now have the latest Confluence (4.3) features
available in our DuraSpace Wiki (wiki.duraspace.org).

The new features you may notice include:

* Brand New / Enhanced "Rich Text" Editor. This editor is now much
easier to use and includes enhanced table editing, easy page layouts,
"Find & Replace" functionality, and auto-embedding media via a pasted in
URL. (Added in Confluence 4.0 and enhanced in 4.1 & 4.2)

* "Like" button & Quick Commenting.  Each page & comments now have a
"Like" button (similar to Facebook) which lets you add quick
approval/thumbs up. There is now a quick comment box at the bottom of
each page. (Added in Confluence 4.2)

* Social @mentions. Similar to Twitter or Facebook, if you type "@" into
a page/comment you can specifically mention another user to draw their
attention to a particular page or comment. (Added in Confluence 4.0)

* Tasks & Notifications. You can create public or personal task lists
and assign tasks to yourself or others. In addition, there's a new Wiki
notification "inbox" which holds all your recent notifications or
mentions. These notifications can also still be sent via email. (Added
in Confluence 4.3)

* Mobile Interface. If you cannot get enough of the Wiki, there's now a
mobile-friendly interface for making changes on the go. (Added in
Confluence 4.3)

If you want further information about any of these features, please see
the Confluence Release Notes:
* What's new in Confluence 4.0:
http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/whats-new/confluence-40
* What's new in Confluence 4.1:
http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/whats-new/confluence-41
* What's new in Confluence 4.2:
http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/whats-new/confluence-42
* What's new in Confluence 4.3:
http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/whats-new/confluence-43

---

We hope that you find these new Wiki features & changes to be
worthwhile. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to
email sysad...@duraspace.org and we'll do our best to address them.

Sincerely,

Your friendly DuraSpace SysAdmins
sysad...@duraspace.org