@Paul Münch:

This may be helpful, but I am unfortunately not familiar with the process
you are describing...

We have had success registering our existing items by modifiying the doi
table directly, and then running the doi-organiser script.  I have 50 items
that are now registered with DataCite.  I do not see the automatic change
of status, however, and I need to ask the list for help with that.

@Tech List:

I intially listed all my existing items with status 7 so they were updated
when I ran the script, and they all appeared in DataCite in our account.
They were not yet registered, however, and the status column remained
unchanged with 7 for all rows.

I registerd them all this morning, by changing the status of the instances
manually to 1, and running the script again.  Now there are links in
DataCite, in www.doi.org, and the dc.identifier.uri in my dspace is set
correctly in our dspace metadata.  All this is super!  Like magic!

One problem remains: the status column is not always correctly changed.
First of all, the status remained 1 for all 50 rows.  This means that the
next time my cron runs, it would try to register all 50 items again,
although they are already registered.  I believe the script should change
all the 1's to 3's, indicating that the items have been registered.

I was worried about this 2x registration, and changed the status to 3 -
again manually.  I know this is wrong, I am just testing!

I then tried editing some metadata, and the status does change correctly
when I do this - it changed to a 6.  But after I run the update with the
script (doi-organiser -u), which ran successfully, the status column was
not converted back to what it was.  It remained 6.  Does this have to do
with some setting in the configuration?  Or is there some database setting
that needs to be changed, since I am dealing with existing items...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Best regards,
Paul