From: dspace-tech@googlegroups.com <dspace-tech@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of
Tim Donohue
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:54 PM
To: Kiriaki Roditi <kiriaki.rod...@elidoc.gr>
Cc: dspace-tech@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [dspace-tech] Re-enable dc.date.issued auto-assignment

Hello Kiriaki,

The "dc.date.issued" field is now only auto-assigned if you enable the "Initial
Questions" page and select that the item is "unpublished" (i.e. not previously
published before).  This new behavior is described here:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/Metadata+Recommendations#MetadataRecommendations-RecommendedMetadataFields

The behavior was changed in DSpace 4.0 because of complaints about
incorrect/inaccurate dates in Google Scholar and Google search results.  Both
of those search engines based their results off our "dc.date.issued" field, and
when that field was auto-assigned, it sometimes resulted in very odd search
results in Google.  See these two old tickets for more details:
* https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1481
* https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1745

I hope that helps,

Tim

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 3:57 AM Kiriaki Roditi