On Friday, May 18, 2018 at 7:52:31 AM UTC-4, Kiriaki Roditi wrote:

> Every item submitted would be “unpublished”, so I would like to avoid
> enabling the initial questions. I am afraid it will confuse the end-users
> that submit their theses.
>
> Could I automatically set every item submitted as “unpublished”, so that I
> could avoid end-user intervention per submission? What do you think is the
> best way to work around that?
>
> Maybe add a custom non-interactive step in the submission process to set
> *publishedBefore=false* or perhaps this can be stated by setting an
> appropriate metadata field value in each collection’s template?
>
> Or, should I edit the code that was modified in Pull Request 373
> <https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/373/files>?
>
> Is there something else I can’t think of?

See http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-issued

date.issued is defined as a publication date.  I understand it's the way
you've been doing things, but it may not be the best choice.  You could use
date.accessioned, which is always added by DSpace, if you just want to know
when an item entered the archive.

My point is that these fields have definitions which are already understood
by the broader community, and if used differently could lead to confusion.
Automatically generated values may be handy, but then they may not be quite
the value that you really need or they may not be in the field that you
really need.  I would try to first:  determine the precise meaning I want
to convey (date submitted in fulfilment of graduation requirements; date
entered in repository; etc); second:  look for a field with the best
matching definition; third:  figure out how to get that field set to the
value you need.  You can probably write a simple curation task to
accomplish the last bit, if out-of-the-box DSpace doesn't do it for you,
and we can help with that.