Dear Rob,

With DSpace 6.x I think you should be targeting Tomcat 8.5 and OpenJDK 1.8,
which are both default in Ubuntu 18.04. As for PostgreSQL, I have been
using the official binary repositories from the PostgreSQL project[0]
itself so I have more flexibility with versions. We've been using version
9.5 for a few years and are testing 9.6 in our staging environment, and I
think I even saw some compatibility updates for PostgreSQL 10 in the DSpace
6.x branch or Jira (?).

[0] https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/

Cheers,

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 9:50 PM Rob Jenson <ferthalan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am setting up a DSpace 6.x dedicated server for the first time and I am
> looking for any clues or wisdom from those who have walked this path before.
>
> I have been reading through the installation docs and there are several
> choices to be made. We are going to build on Ubuntu 18.04 in a DigitalOcean
> Droplet. Everything else is negotiable.
>
> This server will be a development-to-production installation, so stability
> is desirable. It is a brand new installation with no existing legacy data
> to be migrated or supported, so we can go with the newest stable versions
> of software that DSpace relies upon.
>
> Specifically, what versions of OpenJDK and Tomcat have people been
> building upon? Are there any other software version "gotchas" to be aware
> of before configuring the server?
>
> Thanks,
>
> _rob_

Alan Orth
alan.o...@gmail.com
https://picturingjordan.com
https://englishbulgaria.net
https://mjanja.ch
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." ―Friedrich Nietzsche