Dear Stan,

Assuming you are using Tomcat, you need to rename your XMLUI web
application to "ROOT" and restart Tomcat. This is a special/reserved word
that makes Tomcat deploy the application at the root level. You will also
need to adjust your DSpace configuration, preferably in build.properties or
local.cfg for DSpace 5 and 6, respectively, and then rebuild, as this will
update all other configuration files as well.

As for handling the old links, you need to use Apache HTTPD's Redirect
command or mod_rewrite in your virtual host block to catch and redirect old
URLs. Redirect is simpler, but mod_rewrite will allow you to match regular
expressions so that's much more flexible. :)

Regards,

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 12:07 AM Stan Orlov <stanisla...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I followed the instructions to remove 8080 from our URL and I can now
> access our DSpace communities using either ec.msvu.ca:8080/xmlui or
> ec.msvu.ca/xmlui.  However, I would like for visitors to be able to
> access the main page of our DSpace by going to ec.msvu.ca (without
> "xmlui").  Ideally, it would be great if visitors with old links that have
> "/xmlui" in them could access the same page (for backward compatibility).
>
> I believe it is a simple matter of adding/removing something in
> server.xml, context.xml or dspace.cfg, but I can't come up with an answer.
>

> How can I achieve that?
>
> --

Alan Orth
alan.o...@gmail.com
https://picturingjordan.com
https://englishbulgaria.net
https://mjanja.ch
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." ―Friedrich Nietzsche