Yes, you can use any email service you wish. DSpace doesn't require Gmail.
I thought you were asking about how to use Gmail because you highlighted it
in your initial message.

If your issue is NOT with Gmail, then you should provide a better
description of the errors you are receiving.  Specifically, you should look
for the detailed error in the logs as described in our troubleshooting
guide:
https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSPACE/Troubleshoot+an+error#Troubleshootanerror-DSpace6.xorbelow

Tim