Hello Steve,

Most any Linux/Unix is acceptable (Even Apple OSX and Windows have been attempted successfully). The requirements are more Application centric:

Postgresql 7.3 or greater (the latest 8.x is recommended)
Java 1.4 or greater (again recommend the latest 1.5)
Tomcat 4.x or greater (again, best to be the latest)
Ant  1.6 or greater

Your probably looking for the appropriate "Vendor Stack" to maintain and keep up to date for these dependencies. What are your SysAdmins preferences? We use Gentoo Linux and its Debian style "emerge" update mechanism to handle these dependencies and it hasn't bitten us yet. It is analogous to Redhat's RHN (Redhat Network) which is Yum and RPM based.

The caveats you might want to be aware of and research with Redhat (and I'm not sure this is still an issue) is that the default JVM on readhat is based on GNU's gcj native compiler and you might encounter inconsistencies in some of the libraries that DSpace provides and the GCJ native counterparts. Which would defeat the purpose of using a major distro like Redhat EL4 because you couldn't use their default installation of Java/Tomcat/Ant to deploy DSpace on. I'm unsure and someone should "ping" me across the head if I am incorrect in this old assumption as I haven't attempted a test on Redhat EL since last spring.

-Mark