Thanks guys, but just to note, we know that in both these cases
neither RHEL or Fedoras default GNU GCJ Java implementation or
distribution channels were used to maintain the Java "Stack". So in
both cases the question of will it run on RHEL using the supported
packages provided by Redhat isn't answered.

One of main reasons I jumped on-board with Alex's push to use Gentoo
for [EMAIL PROTECTED] is that, in production, I'd much rather have a tried,
tested, well integrated "JAT" (Java Apache Tomcat) stack distributed
by the OS Vendor with their added security updates/fixes.

Good point by Alex on the INode subject.

Also like Richards comment about Solaris 10.  The Solaris 10 out-of-
the-box Java/Apache/Tomcat/Postgres thing does seem worth a look.

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/what_you_get.jsp

-Mark

On Feb 7, 2007, at 10:13 PM, V. Alex Brennen wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 10:41 +1030, Steve Thomas wrote:
>> Hi.
>
>> we’ve been funded for new hardware for our Digital Library (yay!) and
>> I’m now being asked what Operating system is required. The suggestion
>> is Redhat EL 4. I’m sure that will be fine, but (being a Solaris
>> person) I’d like reassurance, so …
>>

>> Can anyone please confirm that RHEL4 is OK for DSpace?
>
> MIT ran its DSpace instance on RHEL (3 & 4) for many years.  I
> think that
> you'll do very well on RHEL4.
>
> We currently run our DSpace instances on Gentoo.  But, I wouldn't
> recommend Gentoo unless you're... well... a perfectionist who suffers
> from a compulsive need to highly optimize everything. 8-)
>
> One thing I would recommend with RHEL4 is that when you create the
> file
> system that will hold your assetstore, make sure you give it enough
> inodes.  DSpace assetstores use a lot of inodes because of how they
> are
> structured.  I gave our assetstores between one and ten million
> inodes.
> If you choose to use ext3 as we did, you can specify the number of
> inodes for the assetstore file system to the mkfs.ext3 command with
> the
> -N flag. You can subsequently check how many inodes you are using and
> how many you have a available by running `df -h -i`.
>

>    - VAB
>
> -
> V. Alex Brennen          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> UNIX Systems Administrator
> MIT Libraries

> ---
> security?
> job easier.
> Geronimo
> http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?
> cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642

Mark R. Diggory
DSpace Systems Manager
MIT Libraries, Systems and Technology Services
Massachusetts Institute of Technology