Darwin seems a great OS solution for Real Time Streaming. But, I'd
just like to point out that theres a big difference between realtime
streaming and the video starting before its finished downloading
(something that quicktime supports without a real time streaming
server).

For instance see:
https://www.dspace.cam.ac.uk/handle/1810/114589

as an example of Quicktime movies in DSpace, if your using QTP, they
start immediately without any special services on the server side.
Again, note, this is "not streaming". Isn't this what your really after?

-Mark

On Feb 21, 2007, at 8:55 PM, j.g. pawletko wrote:

> Hello Mark,
>
> We use DSpace as a core element in our preservation repository design,
> but we have eliminated the DSpace UI when disseminating content.
>
> When a user clicks on a handle, the handle resolves to a project-
> specific
> script that then runs a special SRU query against DSpace.  SRU
> returns a
> real-time mapping of the "submitted filename" to "assetstore
> location".
>
> Using this mapping our disseminator scripts can build RTSP URLs that
> communicate the MPEG-4 file location(s) to our Darwin Streaming Server
> instance, thereby allowing us to stream the content to the user.
>
> It sounds like you are using the DSpace UI so I don't know if our
> approach
> is helpful, but I thought I would communicate it just in case...
>
> regards,
> Joe
>

> --
> J.G. Pawletko (joe)
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Programmer/Analyst
> Digital Library Team
> Bobst Library, New York University
> (212) 992-9999
> --
>

> On 2/21/07 1:22 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 13:16:31 -0500
>> From: "Mark H. Wood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Subject: [Dspace-tech] Audio and video bitstreams
>> To: dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
>>
>> We continue to get requests for support of audio and video.  For
>> longer audio documents, and video of almost any length, the average
>> user isn't going to want to sit watching the thing download and his
>> storage fill up; he's going to expect streaming access that starts
>> almost immediately.  This suggests that DSpace needs a way to specify
>> a "nonlocal" bitstream which is just a URL for such a service.
>>
>> Yeah, we can dream up a metadata field and have it formatted as a
>> link.  We're going to do that to start out with.  But that's going to
>> be confusing to the end user, who will expect links to the content he
>> found to be all in the same place, and *especially* that the form he
>> most likely prefers will not be off in some unusual location on the
>> page.  It would be much nicer if we could e.g. submit an item with
>> two
>> bitstreams: a nonlocal one pointing to a streaming service for casual
>> use, and a local one through which the user can download and keep a
>> copy of the actual document.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> --
>> Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Typically when a software vendor says that a product is
>> "intuitive" he
>> means the exact opposite.

> ---
> share your
> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?
> page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV

Mark R. Diggory - DSpace Systems Manager
MIT Libraries, Systems and Technology Services
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Office: E25-131
Phone: (617) 253-1096