On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 14:58 +0100, James Rutherford wrote:
> Using UUIDs (as suggested earlier) would *work*, but would produce
> horrid URLs.

Note that I never suggested using UUIDs as part of a URL. What I said is
that UUIDs would give you a robust scheme of internal unique identifiers
- and in having that, the use of all other identifier schemes are
reduced simply to a matter of how you map to/from the UUIDs.

We could easily have an out-of-the-box mapping scheme to non-persistent
'friendly' identifiers if the concern is simply to have cleaner URLs.

But even if UUIDs where exposed in the URLs (in a default installation),
is that necessarily a problem? The ugliness of it would at least
encourage people to think about the issues of id persistence /
assignment in relation to that repository.

By assigning UUIDs as the primary / internal id of all persistent
objects in DSpace, we can use tried and tested, well understood
algorithms to generate IDs that are virtually guaranteed to be unique,
which would open up potential usage / installation scenarios that could
otherwise be impractical. It would also have some consistency with the
JCR specification, and you've got the potential to make them public,
persistent identifiers if that is deemed suitable for a given
installation.

This email has been scanned by Postini.
For more information please visit http://www.postini.com