Hi Fiona!

I am not a DSpace committer, just adapting it for the internal needs of Belgium PoisonCentre.

At my best knowledge, you can alter metadata in the item metadata table but, if the field is indexed by Lucene (fields indicated in the advanced search form), then you will have to reindex the whole base. If it is an enormous one, you could index differently for an added field than for a (re)moved one.

If your IT staff is more confortable with SQL, they do not have to refrain using it (except for the Lucene question) but using the "Item" class for updating, if you are using Java, is not that bad. I have submitted an improved version working better for import/re-import of metadata. Please let me know if you want a copy of it (compatible 1.4.1 - 1.4.2).

Have a nice day!

Christophe Dupriez
http://www.destin.be

Fiona Campbell a écrit :
Dear DSpace Experts,
I have been asked by our staff if there are objections to undertaking
bulk changes in the dspace database using Postgres commands, i.e
directly modifiying particular tables to insert/update data. Their
feeling is that doing records one at time is not what computer systems
are about.

In particular they are looking at making bulk changes to some items
which contain a dc.rights field, where they need to add a dc.rights.url
field corresponding the Creative Commons licence the item has.

There has been some testing done on a minor test machine and so far
nothing appears to have gone wrong as such, but I am concerned that
often problems are not always spotted. I am fairly conservative in these
things.

Has anyone tried to do this?

Has anyone an opinion on doing this?

Thanks,

Susan Chapman
Librarian (Library Systems Support)
ITS Systems Support
Swinburne University of Technology

EN101 Mezanine
Mail 37
PO Box 218
Hawthorn Vic 3122
tel: +61 3 9214 8279
fax: +61 3 9214 5178
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the use
of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or protected
by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination,
distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited. The University
does not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are secure and there is
also a risk that it may be corrupted in transmission. It is your responsibility
to check any attachments for viruses or defects before opening them. If you
have received this transmission in error, please contact us on +61 3 9214 8000
and delete it immediately from your system. We do not accept liability in
connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption,
unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.

begin:vcard
fn:Christophe Dupriez
n:Dupriez;Christophe
org:DESTIN inc. SSEB
adr;quoted-printable:;;rue des Palais 44, bo=C3=AEte 1;Bruxelles;;B-1030;Belgique
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Informaticien
tel;work:+32/2/216.66.15
tel;fax:+32/2/242.97.25
tel;cell:+32/475.77.62.11
note;quoted-printable:D=C3=A9veloppement de Syst=C3=A8mes de Traitement de l'Information
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.destin.be
version:2.1
end:vcard