On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 10:12:52AM -0400, Robert Tansley wrote:
> >But, I think we are getting a little tied up around the idea that it may
> >only be a single implementation that has all these possibilities
> >available as configuration options - and that need not be the case at
> >all.
>
> +1 - I doubt we could come up with one uber-flexible implementation
> which an exhaustive set of options that takes care of the lot.  It's
> probably better to providing an interface which lets people drop in
> different implementations that implement any complex policy they
> choose.

OK, this is starting to sound like a more reasonable attack. I'm still
not 100% sure I understand how this approach will help, but I could just
be misunderstanding what you're getting at. In my opinion, the class
that understands (eg) Handles shouldn't be in charge of deciding where
it attaches itself to objects. Or do you mean implementations of the
ExternalIdentifierManager?

cheers,

Jim

--
James Rutherford          |  Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office:
Research Engineer         |  Cain Road,

The contents of this message and any attachments to it are confidential and
may be legally privileged. If you have received this message in error, you
should delete it from your system immediately and advise the sender. To any
recipient of this message within HP, unless otherwise stated you should
consider this message and attachments as "HP CONFIDENTIAL".