Hi Tim.  We just got DSpace 1.4.2 installed in Production, so I think
we'll wait for the actual release of 1.5.  Thanks a bunch for the info.
Sue

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Donohue [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 2:14 PM
To: Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[NCI INFORMATION SYSTEMS]
Cc: dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net; Smail, James W. (LARC-B702)[NCI
INFORMATION SYSTEMS]
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] Customizing the submission procedure

Sue,

The Configurable Submission feature is only available in DSpace 1.5
alpha (i.e. the pre-release of DSpace 1.5).  It introduces a new
configuration file (item-submission.xml), which allows you to customize
which steps you wish to use, and the order of the steps.

In DSpace 1.5, the input-forms.xml file still exists, but it is now
specific to the "Describe" step (as you noted), and does not affect any
of the other submission steps.

If you download DSpace 1.5 alpha, there is much more detailed
documentation available in the dspace/docs/submission.html
documentation.

Let me know if you have additional questions, or if you find the
documentation lacking (in which case, I can try and "beef it up" a
little more before the 1.5 final release).

- Tim

Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[NCI INFORMATION SYSTEMS] wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>      I just finished configuring our submission process for a specific
> Collection yesterday, however, I was only able to figure out how to
> minimize the describe page(s) by creating a new form in
input-forms.xml.
> How do you remove or modify the other pages (the ones not in
> parentheses)?
> Thanks a bunch,
> Sue Walker-Thornton
> NASA Langley Research Center
> 757-224-4074
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Java

> [...]
> reordered, or even removed.  Unfortunately, at this time you cannot
> rearrange or remove the "Select Collection" or "Complete" steps.  But,

> I'm hoping that we can figure out a way around that limitation in
future

> versions of the Configurable Submission.
>
> Beyond that, you can also create brand new steps, assuming you are
> willing to create a Step Class for that new step (this *does* require
> Java knowledge!).  You can also share custom steps between
institutions
> easily, since steps are "standalone" and can be added easily into the
> process.  So, I'm hoping that eventually many folks will develop new
> custom steps which will be shared (and eventually make it into future
> versions of DSpace).
>
> Unfortunately, at this time the Configurable Submission is not "smart"

> and doesn't allow for 'branching' based on answers given in previous
> steps.  So, currently, there's no real *easy* way to say:
> "If the user selected 'Are you submitting just The Metadata', then
> forward them to a single 'Describe' step.  Otherwise, forward them to
> the normal submission process."
>
> I think that there's potential for some simple 'branching' in the
> future, esp. in more complex custom steps.  But, at this point in
time,
> the configurable submission doesn't support it out-of-the-box.
>
> Does this help to clear things up?  Or does it bring up more
questions?

> Let me know if there's anything else that's unclear,
>
> - Tim
>
> Karo Salminen wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm very delighted with the possibility to customise submission
>> procedure with DSpace 1.5 alpha. I wanted to ask help in implementing
>> bit more complicated procedure with XMLUI, as I am not familiar with
>> DSpace source or development.
>>
>> The idea is first to get the metadata from the submitters, saving the
>> submission unfinished, and submitters could complete their
submissions
>> later by uploading files and completing the standard procedure. So,
if
>> submitter would answer yes to initial question "are submitting just
> the
>> metadata?" he/she would be presented the Describe step, but only with
>> "Save" button which would then force to save the current submission
as
>> unfinished. Later, if the submitter resumed to the submission from
>> his/her submissions page, the later steps would come into effect, and
>> he/she could upload the files and complete the submission in a
>> "standard" way.
>>
>> I've gone through the "Customizing and Configuring Submission User
>> Interface" manual, but haven't examined thoroughly step classes'
> source,
>> and really hope that it wouldn't be necessary to proceed.

Tim Donohue
Research Programmer, Illinois Digital Environment for
Access to Learning and Scholarship (IDEALS)
135 Grainger Engineering Library

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web:   http://www.ideals.uiuc.edu
phone: (217) 333-4648