While I don't discount the benefits of delivering the sword service with the dspace distribution. We are really reaching a point where we need to consider if it is better to manage each of these addons independently in different version trees and simply combine them together into a common package for the distribution release. I think we are realizing we need to move to a distributed support and development model because of the growing size of our community and the diversity of directions we all want to take the codebase in. The benefit of such a model means that a development lag in any one addon should not limit the successful release and update of other addons. I'm pretty concerned that if we keep placing more and more addons under the sf.net/dspace/trunk. We will see the same development entanglement and scaling issues we are attempting to clear up.

I've been working to establish a layout within the dspace sandbox that adequately gives addons room to advance and release independently. This means reserving svn trees (trunk/branches/tags) as a convention for each addon and using common project management tools to handle releases. Please see the following as an example.

our addon projects space (anyone can request an addon project here:
http://dspace-sandbox.googlecode.com/svn/modules/

An example project (dspace-sword)
http://dspace-sandbox.googlecode.com/svn/modules/dspace-sword/trunk/

In the real world, these projects will have different development and release schedules and trying to maintain them in a common versioned tree would slow the release of all to the that project whose development/stability was lagging.

To give you a real examples, the Eclipse (www.eclipse.org), the Maven (maven.apache.org) and the Spring (www.springframework.org) communities all maintain their, plugins/modules as separately versioned entities and work to aggregate these entities into one common release on a "seasonal" period, but any one module/plugin can release new versions of itself on a faster/slower cycle as seen fit. I think this is a very important aspect of the "Bazaar Economy" I seek to introduce into the DSpace Community.

All that said, I still support adding sword to the trunk, but only under the pretense that we are outgrowing S.F. and need to establish our own SCM service with greater control of organization and access control. And that at such a time we will consider establishing a smaller core (just "dspace" and "dspace-api" projects) and a space similar to dspace-sandbox for all other addons (xmlui, jspui, oai, srw, sword, lni, ...) with independent version trees.

Cheers,
Mark