Maybe I can help

> The problems I see:
> - The "Apache Tomcat Native library" is still not found. Is it required.
> Should'nt it be part of Tomcat. Did I set a path wrong?

Apache Native Library is not required, if you install it you will have a
boost in performance, that's all. But my sysadmin has had lots of
problems to deploy it so maybe it's wiser to ignore it by now.

> - Can I ignore the log4j-warning because of the later successful loading
> message regarding log4j?

The warning about /log/dspace.log is because by default dspace doesn't
create those files. You need to create:

/opt/dspace/log/dspace.log
/opt/dspace/log/checker.log

and chown them to tomcat.

> - Tomcat still starts up as user 'tomcat', not 'dspace'. This seems to
> be the reason for the permission problems. But why does Tomcat ignore
> the settings in tomcat5.conf?

If you run /etc/init.d/tomcat (as you should) that script sets "tomcat"
as the user that runs tomcat. I can't see any reason you want to change
that, aside from putting your server at risk :) Tomcat must run under
tomcat user.

Hope this helps,
Pere