Vezina Marie-Helene wrote:
> Thank you Graham,
>
> Very clear answer.
>
> I guess the final goal I was pursuing while playing around with the browse
> configuration was to be able, for my Browse lists, to have one Date column
> that would display dc.date.submitted for ETDs and dc.date.issued for non-ETDs
> (and assuming there would be no issue date for ETDs), so I was hoping to be
> able to mix the content of various fields for the browse lists... In light of
> your explanations I don't see how this is possible. The closest I got was to
> have two columns (one for dc.date.submitted and the other one for
> dc.date.issued), or to have the submitted date in place of the issue date
> whenever the datesubmitted browse index or sort option was selected.... Or
> did I miss something?

Correct, you can't mix the data from two separate metadata fields into a
single sort column / order. Can you imagine the complexity of a
configuration syntax that would allow such selective behaviour?

For the future, I can imagine a way of configuring a class to control
the extraction of metadata, in a way that would allow you to replace it
with your own code that provides a more complex, context-sensitive form
of extraction as you wish.

But we aren't there yet. Right now, you could have two columns, one for
each metadata field.

Or, you could 'invent' an additional metadata field into which you want
the value that you want that particular record to be sorted on. It's
more work in maintaining each item, but it would allow you to use/copy
the date that you want for each item.

This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the
original intended recipient. BioMed Central Limited does not accept liability
for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not expressly
made on behalf of BioMed Central Limited. No contracts may be concluded on
behalf of BioMed Central Limited by means of e-mail communication. BioMed
Central Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 3680030
Registered Office Middlesex House, 34-42 Cleveland Street, London W1T 4LB