From: Jeffrey Trimble [mailto:jtrim...@cc.ysu.edu]
Sent: Tue 8/4/2009 2:57 PM
To: Jeffrey Trimble
Cc: Lewatle Phaladi; dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] Migrating dspace 1.5.0 to 1.5.2

Correction:  that was "dump and load" not dumb, though some may think
it is dumb to dump and load your data.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Trimble
System LIbrarian
William F.  Maag Library
Youngstown State University
330.941.2483 (Office)
jtrim...@cc.ysu.edu
http://www.maag.ysu.edu
http://digital.maag.ysu.edu
"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind-killer.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me..."
--Litany against fear....

On Aug 4, 2009, at 8:52 AM, Jeffrey Trimble wrote:

> We migrated to a new server back in February.  We were going from
> 1.4.2 to 1.5.1.  Here's what we did:
>
> 1.  Installed 1.4.2 on the new server.
> 2.  Copied over the assestore (this was a long process since we
> didn't have space to zip/tar the file).
> 3.  Performed a restore of the Postgresql database.
> 4.  Upgraded from 1.4.2 to 1.5.1 (and then to 1.5.2).
>
> What you are attempting to do is a bit dangerous, albeit cavalier.
> I don't recommend that course of action.
>
> If you do a "dumb and load", you will loose your handle address
> assignments, if that is important to you and your end users.
>
> --Jeff
>
> Jeffrey Trimble
> System LIbrarian
> William F.  Maag Library
> Youngstown State University
> 330.941.2483 (Office)
> jtrim...@cc.ysu.edu
> http://www.maag.ysu.edu
> http://digital.maag.ysu.edu
> "I must not fear.  Fear is the mind-killer.
> I will permit it to pass over me and through me..."
> --Litany against fear....
>
> On Aug 4, 2009, at 2:37 AM, Lewatle Phaladi wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> We are migrating Dspace 1.5.0 to new server machine that runs Dspace
>> 1.5.2, we need to dump the database and copy again the assetsstore,
>> anyone who has migrated to new physical server or have an idea please
>> assist.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Lewatle

>> communication is intended for the addressee only. It is
>> confidential. If you have received this communication in error,
>> please notify us immediately and destroy the original message. You
>> may not copy or disseminate this communication without the
>> permission of the University. Only authorized signatories are
>> competent to enter into agreements on behalf of the University and
>> recipients are thus advised that the content of this message may
>> not be legally binding on the University and may contain the
>> personal views and opinions of the author, which are not
>> necessarily the views and opinions of The University of the
>> Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. All agreements between the University
>> and outsiders are subject to South African Law unless the

is intended for the addressee only. It is confidential. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately and destroy the
original message. You may not copy or disseminate this communication without
the permission of the University. Only authorized signatories are competent to
enter into agreements on behalf of the University and recipients are thus
advised that the content of this message may not be legally binding on the
University and may contain the personal views and opinions of the author, which
are not necessarily the views and opinions of The University of the
Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. All agreements between the University and
outsiders are subject to South African Law unless the University agrees in