hi Claudia,
It does have the proper rights - checked that yesterday eve.

My dspace.cfg points there

At this point, we think we may have a network issue, but we're still
looking into that.

thanks so much for your help and let me know if you have other ideas
about what it could be. Like I said, we've moved to a much larger server
and I thought that would increase the load time of the files. I've also
increased the JAVA_OPTS memory to a gig...

thanks!