I have now found the problem for my RedHat Fedora 12 installation.
Inside the file "/etc/tomcat5/tomcat5.conf" is a line that overrides
JAVA_HOME. Uncomment it or change the path to the  corrrect one - SUN Java.

The Tomcat 5 im using, is the default one that comes with Fedora 12. I
have updated the ticket in Jira.

Other users are having this problem too (on Ubuntu), can you confirm if
this is/was your problem too?

Thanks,
Tonny

Hey,

could you try to take a look at this ticket about the xmlui. You can
browse the site and login, but if you try to register, click submit then
you get the errors in the ticket.

http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-444

It might have something to do with the latest version im using (Fedora
12 other people with Ubuntu have the same problem) since almost the same
configuration are running on a RedHat Enterprise 5.