I'm pretty sure it does not require SSL.  I have several other applications
setup using the mail server using the same credentials.  None of these
applications are setup to use SSL to my knowledge.

Does one of these error messages indicate the mail server is requiring SSL?
Is there another possible reason the error could be occuring?

If SSL is being required i'll have to contact my hosting provider and look
into that.