Hallo Tim,

Thanks for your response. We have numerous error messages, and I have not yet
been able to trace them to a single cause. At first I thought they were related
to the outofmemory error because of the time the RSS errors occurred. That
seemed to coincide with the filtermedia and stats cronjobs. However, the
cronjobs run at night, and the RSS errors occur throughout the day.

There are times when the RSS feeds are shown as they should. Just now I
repeatedly tested several RSS feeds. But then suddenly, the RSS feeds start
giving the errors I posted. So, there must be something else going on as well.
However, I have set the new RSS parameters in dspace.cfg. My intention was to
not show the hidden items.

#### Restricted item visibilty settings ###
# By default RSS feeds, OAI-PMH and subscription emails will include ALL items
# regardless of permissions set on them.
#
# If you wish to only expose items through these channels where the ANONYMOUS
# user is granted READ permission, then set the following options to false
harvest.includerestricted.rss = false
#harvest.includerestricted.oai = false
harvest.includerestricted.subscription = false

# enable syndication feeds - links display on community and collection home
pages
# (This setting is not used by XMLUI, as you enable feeds in your theme)
webui.feed.enable = true
# number of DSpace items per feed (the most recent submissions)
webui.feed.items = 10
# maximum number of feeds in memory cache
# value of 0 will disable caching
webui.feed.cache.size = 100
# number of hours to keep cached feeds before checking currency
# value of 0 will force a check with each request
webui.feed.cache.age = 48
# which syndication formats to offer
# use one or more (comma-separated) values from list:
# rss_0.90, rss_0.91, rss_0.92, rss_0.93, rss_0.94, rss_1.0, rss_2.0
webui.feed.formats = rss_1.0,rss_2.0
# URLs returned by the feed will point at the global handle server (e.g.
http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/1)
# Set to true to use local server URLs (i.e.
http://myserver.myorg/handle/123456789/1)
webui.feed.localresolve = false

We have not changed any DSpace code, other than in some of the layout jsp pages
to add an additional google search box, and changes to the styles.jsp.

We have run all database upgrade scripts. We made one modification to the
database upgrade script, and that is that we can not drop the mets_bitstream_id
column, because that column is still used. I have posted an message about that
some months ago. I'll ask the DBA to check the tables for the upgrade changes.

So far I have looked at the Tomcat catalina.out and localhost.log files and the
dspace logging. I'll ask the DBA to check the Oracle logging.

In addition to the stack trace dspace lists in the error message, Tomcat logs
this error

org.dspace.authorize.AuthorizeException: Authorization denied for action READ
on BITSTREAM:124 by user 0
        at
org.dspace.authorize.AuthorizeManager.authorizeAction(AuthorizeManager.java:196)
        at org.dspace.content.Bitstream.retrieve(Bitstream.java:561)
        at org.dspace.app.mets.METSExport.findLicense(METSExport.java:593)
        at org.dspace.app.mets.METSExport.writeMETS(METSExport.java:397)
        at
org.dspace.app.oai.METSCrosswalk.createMetadata(METSCrosswalk.java:82)
        at
ORG.oclc.oai.server.catalog.RecordFactory.create(RecordFactory.java:332)
        at
ORG.oclc.oai.server.catalog.RecordFactory.create(RecordFactory.java:243)
        at
ORG.oclc.oai.server.catalog.RecordFactory.create(RecordFactory.java:211)
        at
org.dspace.app.oai.DSpaceOAICatalog.doRecordHarvest(DSpaceOAICatalog.java:578)
        at
org.dspace.app.oai.DSpaceOAICatalog.listRecords(DSpaceOAICatalog.java:445)
        at ORG.oclc.oai.server.verb.ListRecords.construct(ListRecords.java:180)
        at
        at
        at ORG.oclc.oai.server.OAIHandler.getResult(OAIHandler.java:383)
        at ORG.oclc.oai.server.OAIHandler.doGet(OAIHandler.java:292)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:617)
        at
        at
        at
        at
        at
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:286)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:845)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Thank you for your assistance,
Best wishes,
Francis Brouns