> We still need some way to build a bag of structured,
> labeled data and action handles, so that when a
> Theme reaches into the bag it can know what to grab

Yes, right.  And this is really easy to do:

  <label>data</label>

It'll probably need to be more complex than that, of course -- but not much.

> If we do away with DRI we will have to invent
> something almost like it.

But what I just described above is nothing like DRI.  Unless you count the fact
that they are both XML.

DRI tries to accomplish a whole bunch of things that a simple attribute-value
pair does not.  But, IMO, those things are unnecessary.

All we *need* is a simple mechanism to get data to the interface.  Anything
beyond that just complicates and confuses the process.

--Dave

David Walker
Library Web Services Manager
California State University