Patrick,

this is a known issue with Maven 3, we are working on some project
restructuring in DSpace trunk to alleviate this, for now, if you can build
with the latest version of maven 2, that would be recommended. I think you
can choose the maven installation in the m2eclipse plugin so you are not
using the internal 3 version that comes with it. Likewise, if you want to
build from /dspace/pom. you can drop the other <module> references in the
dspace-parent pom by commenting them out.

Mark

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Patrick Etienne <
patrick.etie...@library.gatech.edu> wrote:

> Elliot (et al),
>
> Many thanks for the reply. You might have to say that I am both using and
> not using Eclipse, though the part where I am may be interfering with the
> part where I am not. I'm attempting to setup both a local development
> environment through Eclipse as well as a non-Eclipse (command-line) setup to
> mimic the development and production servers that my system administrator
> has setup (in effort to learn how best to streamline workflow for
> maintaining multiple instances).
>
> I'm going to briefly describe my setup in hopes that providing the info
> will help narrow down the difficulty (though it may just be trying to use
> Eclipse in tandem with the command line).
>
> Using Eclipse, I create a new (generic) project from svn and download the
> source to (rather than the regular workspace directory) my /usr/local/src
> directory (One-Big-Project approach, which may be a problem). >From there
> I'll follow as updated instructions as I can from the Eclipse / DSpace setup
> wiki entry (including "Enabled Nested Modules"). From here I have all the
> other required dspace tools installed and the dspace.cfg configured etc. At
> this point I try running a Maven goal on the source directory as a test (mvn
> clean, for instance). I'll try running this same goal several ways, here are
> the results:
>
> Eclipse 3.6 (Helios) - Embedded Maven 3.0.2 - Fails
> Eclipse 3.6 (Helios) - External 3.0.2 - Fails
> Eclipse 3.6 (Helios) - External 2.2.1 - Succeeds
> Command Line - 3.0.2 - Fails
> Command Line - 2.2.1 - Succeeds
>
> My question at this point would be, is there something inherently different
> about downloading from svn to my source directory using the command line vs.
> performing the same operation through project creation from svn within
> Eclipse? Would attempting to "Enable Dependency Management" in Eclipse (or
> some other operation within the Eclipse / DSpace setup
> instructions<https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/IDE+Integration+-+DSpace,+Eclipse+and+Tomcat#IDEIntegration-DSpace%2CEclipseandTomcat-WorkingwithDSpace1.5>)
> taint the files in my source directory to the effect of having a Maven goal
> fail when run via the command line? All failures are the same error message.
>
> One significant thing I found interesting is that setting up one project
> per DSpace module would alleviate the "referencing the same module within
> multiple pom.xml files" problem (I think), due to them being separate
> projects rather than one big project. I did see that m2eclipse is behaving
> differently in the eclipse GUI due to some Eclipse API changes in 3.6 (run
> configurations, etc). I didn't realize that "Enable Nested Modules" wasn't
> supported in later versions, that may be the deal right there. As a general
> public FYI, it seems that m2eclipse (or like functionality) has been slated
> for core integration in 3.7 (due out June 22nd). That could be interesting.

> [...]

Mark R. Diggory
@mire - www.atmire.com
2888 Loker Avenue East - Suite 305 - Carlsbad - CA - 92010
Technologielaan 9 - 3001 Heverlee - Belgium