Jennifer,

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Jennifer Whitney <jwhit...@unb.ca> wrote:

> Bit late to the party but I thought I'd share our approach for keeping
> XMLUI customizations separated from DSpace source.  Recipe #1 has worked
> well for us, so far, when we've needed to modify 1.6.2:
>
> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/BuildCookbook
>
> So, for example, we've cloned the vanilla ArtifactBrowser aspect in our
> project:
>
> myrepo-xmlui/myrepo-xmlui-api/src/main/resources/aspects/MyArtifactBrowser
>
> ... and modified the sitemap.xmap, as needed, to point to classes in our
> projects, which mirror the structures of DSpace projects in the source
> release.  We add dependencies on our projects to the relevant POMs, build &
> deploy as usual.

Yes, this is fine.  We do it as well (and as MarkW points out, this project
can live outside the dspace/modules directory), we generally make that
division when dealing with packaging more that one dspace instance off the
same addon codebase, for instance in a consortia setting, where the same set
of features need to be deployed on multiple dspaces, but there need to also
be local customizations maintained to each instance (dspace/modules/...) as
well.

 what would be interesting is to analyze how upgrades now impact your work.
 For instance, I can say we've been reworking parts of the ArtifactBrowser
aspect to break out the Browse and Search Components and to make it possible
to truly drop either of those two features in favor of turning on Discovery.
Has this impacted your addon?  Ideally, it shouldn't have.

Likewise, I would be curious about what were the changes you sought out to
do to ArtifactBrowser, knowing what those look like would inform us as to
how to improve the parts of the codebase that can be replaced locally in the
manner you are doing.

> I think, since we're working in our own projects, that we'd avoid the kind
> of Maven repository contamination discussed below (something that didn't
> occur to me, previously).

You wouldn't need to worry about it because you are releasing your
customizations as your own addon to DSpace. Well done.

Best,
Mark

--
Mark R. Diggory