Hi, I've gone both ways on this, modifying the dependency in the pom to
match the latest version of the Oracle driver, and also "renaming" the
oracle driver in my own Maven repository (I.e. I load the current driver
and give it the same numbers as what the DSpace pom is looking for).
Either way works. But, yes, it is an area where the documentation could be
more clear.

I'd also urge you to make use of Maven build profiles (either in
profile.xml if you're using Maven 2.2, or in your personal Maven-settings
file (%USER_HOME%/.m2/settings.xml) if you're using Maven 3 or higher.
Build profiles let you keep stuff like db hosts, user names and passwords
out of your version control system. Which is a good security measure, and
it also lets you use the same version-controled code in multiple places,
just changing out the DB credentials, to facilitate things like developer
instances, a staging instance, a production instance, etc.

More info here:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-profiles.html

--
HARDY POTTINGER <pottinge...@umsystem.edu>