OK - looks like I have found a way, but I don't know if it's the most
optimum.

Using the packager command, I can ingest a zip file with just the mets.xml
file in it and point it to the community I want it to land under. It looks
like this:

/[dspace]/bin/dspace packager -s -a -u -t AIP -e m...@example.com -p
123456789/66280 mets.zip

This seems to work just fine, but what I would like to know now is:

1) What is the least content I need in the mets.xml file to accomplish
this? All I want is a collection with no files (initially) and just a title.
2) Is there a command that will allow me to not have to zip the xml file?

The help message for the packager command /[dspace]/bin/dspace packager
--help --type METS talks about the manifestOnly switch, but I don't know
how to use it.