Hello,

Am 01.02.2013 um 17:54 schrieb "Cronin, Catherine Kemble (LARC-B702)"
<catherine.k.cro...@nasa.gov>:

> We have set up and configured a development instance of dspace 1.8 (jspui)
> that has been tested and approved to go into production.
> What is the best practice for copying a fully customized and configured
> instance of dspace over to a new server for each of the following cases?
>
> 1.       Instance including all of the content (ie bitstreams) – basically a
> full replication from one server to another.
> 2.       Instance including  no items or bitstreams, but all of the
> Communities and Collections.  Basically the “structure” without items.

I guess, the latter case is hard to accomplish, I have no idea for this. And as
long as there are not hundreds of communities I dont even think it is a good
idea. I would use a clean copy and enter the Communities and Collections from
scratch.

Both cases imply that it will happen only once in a lifetime and that the test
environment has turned into a production environment during testing already. It
wont make sense to take over items from testing to production any time after
the initial setup. Or to say it differently, for further development you should
consider to keep data completely separate from the production environment.

If you keep data separate and dont want to set up all the stuff required to
compile DSpace in your production environment, you can copy over the webapps
directory content as required, id est certainly the jspui directory, but other,
such as lni or oai depending on whether you will use them at all. If you go
deeply into the code, then there will be new versions of some .jar files in the
lib directory, specifically dspace.jar you will have to copy over as well. If
copying webapps and .jar files manually to the production server, you will have
to tweak your config files in the dspace/config directory manually. This should
not be too hard to do, they are rarely changed after initial setup.

To get started (your case one), you will have to copy over the whole [dspace]
directory including the assetstore, config and so on. I would use rsync for
this purpose. You can clean out log, history, reports and so on and you can
remove the etc subdirectory, but working directories like log, history and so
on need to be in the place indicated in your [dspace]/config/dspace.cfg file
and writeable for the tomcat user. Besides the [dspace] directory, you will
need to dump your postgres database and load it into the production
environment. Consider not using dump_all, but to dump the dspace database only.
Take care of preserving oids during the transfer of the database. After you
have done so, you have to move the webapps stuff as well as described before if
you keep your webapps in a place different from your [dspace] directory. Check
the DSpace install steps to find any steps missing in my short advisory.

For me, it has turned out to be a suitable solution to set up a new machine
when it comes to a new DSpace version. I do all my testing on this machine,
then move over essentially the assetstore and the database. I then have to run
the etc files to update the database to the current version and after a short
test I am ready to switch over the DNS entry. The old machine gets to be my
testing environment for further development. This way, I have a full DSpace
compilation environment on my production machine and can apply small changes
without the help of another machine. It is up to me to be conscious and not to
apply larger changes on the production machine.

Bye, Christian