Hi, here is a definition of what Shibboleth means by "Lazy Session":

https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/SHIB/LazySession

(note, link is to the older Shib 1.3 documentation, I can't find the
corresponding page in the 2.x documentation).

In a nutshell, a Lazy Session configuration of Shibboleth allows
attributes from an already-established session to be passed to your
application, but does not actually require such an existing session. A
Lazy Session Login URL would be where you would need to send a user should
the session need to be recreated or refreshed for some reason.

In your Apache config file, here's how you'd configure a lazy session:

# turn on Shibboleth "Lazy Session"
<Location />
        AuthType shibboleth
        ShibRequireSession Off
        require shibboleth
</Location>

If you instead pass a value of ShibRequireSession On or ShibRequireSession
True, you would force all visitors to login when they encounter any URL to
your site.

So, in a Lazy Session environment, you still need a way for your
application to create new sessions and/or refresh existing ones.

If you are using Shibboleth authentication at your institution, I
recommend utilizing Lazy Sessions, as it's how you deliver on the promise
of a "single sign on," otherwise you're asking people to log in "yet
again," using the same credentials they use elsewhere.

--

HARDY POTTINGER <pottinge...@umsystem.edu>
University of Missouri Library Systems