All,

Last week at the Open Repositories conference (in Prince Edward Island,
Canada), a draft 3-5 Year Vision for the DSpace platform was introduced
as well as a (very brief) overview of the DSpace 2013 RoadMap.

In order to make this information more widely available, I've recorded a
video screencast (27 mins) of this OR13 talk and made it available at:
http://youtu.be/JtnjPk9qS_k

The slides presented are also freely available at:
http://www.slideshare.net/tdonohue/dspace-roadmap-vision-2013-or13

The drafted 3-5 year vision statement is on our wiki at:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+2013+Vision+Document

== Your Feedback on 3-5 Year Vision ==

I'd encourage everyone to review the draft 3-5 year vision for DSpace
software. This vision was brainstormed by a small group of DSpace
institutions as an initial step towards finding ways to enhance DSpace
to meet the ever-changing needs of a modern "institutional repository"
platform. DuraSpace was involved in organizing these discussions, but
the vision itself was created by your colleagues in the DSpace community.

We want your feedback! This vision is by no means "complete" or
finalized, and we encourage you and your colleagues to let us know what
you think. We've created a wiki page to capture comments/feedback on
this vision, along with any use cases / needs you feel are important
ones that DSpace should strive to meet:

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+2013+Vision+Document

(Feel free to add your own comments to the bottom of that page)

Once we have a vetted listing of DSpace use cases / needs, our informal
"Vision Team" will be working with Committers & other technology folks
to create a possible implementation plan / technical roadmap. We also
anticipate establishing a community-led (and likely
community-funded/supported) implementation project in order to make the
final vision a reality. Much of this process is still yet to be decided,
but will be made transparent as the initiative moves forward.

== Help Out! Take a More Active Role! ==

Each of you has an opportunity to take as active a role as you desire
through this 3-5 year vision and subsequent community implementation
project. At a minimum, we hope that you will provide feedback on the
vision and use cases which are important to you and your institution.

However, if you'd like to take a more active role, we welcome anyone to
join our informal "Vision Team". This "Vision Team" is essentially
self-organized at this time, but we welcome anyone who is interested in
being involved. If you or your institution would like to become more
directly involved in these vision discussions, please get in touch with
myself (tdono...@duraspace.org) or Jonathan Markow (jjmar...@duraspace.org).

For those wanting to take a more active role, we also have created a
public 'dspace-vision' list for detailed vision discussions at:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/dspace-vision

Although that 'dspace-vision' list is mostly for organizing thoughts and
occasional "Vision Team" meetings, you are welcome to join that list to
listen in or take a more active role (the list archives are also
publicly browseable/searchable). Any major announcements or additional
calls for community feedback/support will be posted to the
'dspace-general' mailing list as well.

--

There will be much more information about this DSpace 3-5 Year Vision
initiative in the coming months. As mentioned, we want to make this

If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please do feel free to
respond to this thread, or email myself (tdono...@duraspace.org) or
Jonathan Markow (jjmar...@duraspace.org).

I'm excited to see this initiative move forward & hear your feedback and
ideas as we do so. Let's build a better DSpace, together.

Tim Donohue
Technical Lead for DSpace
DuraSpace.org