Hi Lars,

your configuration looks almost correct. The only thing wrong I see is
that you're saying that you defined the solr context in server.xml,
not in a context fragment
(/etc/tomcat7/conf/Catalina/localhost/solr.xml).

In server.xml, the definition should include a docBase attribute (e.g.
docBase="/dspace/webapps/solr"). In a context fragment, the .xml file
name is used instead, so this attribute is left out.

I'm not sure though that this error would cause the 403. I think it
would cause the context not to load.

As another quick fix, try specifying the context without any parameters, i.e.:
<Context path="/solr" reloadable="true" /> in solr.xml or
<Context path="/solr" docBase="/dspace/webapps/solr" /> in server.xml
This will put the localhost restriction back in place, which means you
should be able to access Solr from localhost, but not from
129.27.218.*.

Also double-check whether you are really running Tomcat 7. In Tomcat 6
and older the RemoteAddrValve syntax was slightly different, see:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/valve.html#Remote_Address_Filter

Regards,
~~helix84