Hi Alan,

In recent versions of DSpace (4.x and above), Discovery does *both*
Browse and Search. So, those "Browse By" options are now handled by
Discovery. These days, if you install DSpace will default options,
Lucene is not used at all, and everything runs through Discovery (with
Apache Solr) behind it.

The plan going forward is that Discovery will be the search/browse
system. The old Lucene / DB-based search and browse system is deprecated
and will be removed in the near future.

- Tim