From: Mark H. Wood [mw...@iupui.edu]
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2015 2:37 PM
To: dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] moving a subset of Handles out of DSpace

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 05:01:54PM +0000, Halliday, James Leonard wrote:
> We have a DSpace instance which has one community that has moved elsewhere
> (to OJS). So there are 4000+ items that are no longer valid and should be
> removed, withdrawn, or deleted. I would like to have the handles for those
> 4000 articles redirect to the corresponding article in OJS. But I assume this
> requires hacking the handle server? Has anyone done something like this
> before or have any tips?

The actual difficulty is that the Handle resolver that comes with
DSpace is already hacked:  it is configured to use a custom storage
backend which depends on DSpace's Handle table.  A stock Handle
resolver would be able to comprehend having this resource on service
A, that on service B...but DSpace doesn't know how to deal with the
resolver directly.  The two services communicate through the shared
database.

It probably wouldn't take too much effort to build a new Handle
provider that interacts with a stock Handle resolver, and I've been
thinking that that is really the way for DSpace to go.  Has anyone
already done that?

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst