On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 02:53:17 +0200 (CEST)
"Imposit.com - webmaster" <webmas...@imposit.com> wrote:

> stevan are you shure about the compiled with intelcompiler`?

Yes! Try it yourself. Compile it with PGO enabled and run a bunch of days and
then recompile it again. You will see that it is faster then when using older
GCC versions (like 3 series or the early 4.x series).

> how does it react in virtualized enviroments? i guess there might it a bit
> harder :-)

I can not say much here. However... the new CPU generation using Intel VT or
AMD-V act +/- the same if used virtualized or not. So I would say that the
optimization have the same effect in a VM and in a physical system.

> recompiling might help but first tune the settings there you can gain a
> couple of tousand percent
> depending what statements you use and which engine / transactions, tablescans
> and so on
> even on data important

Done that long time ago. The speed improvement is drastic. The memory usage is
higher too but that does not bother me.

> btw: just for everyone who dont know that.
> you might find out that your mysqlbox creates a lot of disk-based tempoary
> tables specially with dpsam
> DO NOT TUNE tmp_table_size higher it will not help you - BLOB and Textcolums
> are never ever saved in the memory

Well, well, well. Have you read my other mail? I have written that I avoid the
signature table as much as possible. So my blob reading/writing is practically
zero. I don't suffer from those MySQL issues.

btw: Using PostgreSQL scales way better under load then MySQL. You should try
it. You will be surprised how well it performs.