On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Kyle Johnson wrote:

} I can certainly understand what you are saying.  I noticed that you compiled
} with --enable-preferences-extension and as such, perhaps dspam is looking for
} the Opt in in the database, and not the flat file - README:
}
} Opt-In/Out
}
}  If you would like your users to be able to opt in/out of DSPAM filtering,
}  add the correct option to the nav_preferences.html template, depending on
}  your configuration (for example, if you have an opt-in system, you'll want to
}  add the opt-in option). Note: This currently only works with the preferences
}  extension, and not drop files.
}
} <INPUT TYPE=CHECKBOX NAME=optIn $C_OPTIN$>
} Opt into DSPAM filtering
}
} <INPUT TYPE=CHECKBOX NAME=optOut $C_OPTOUT$>
} Opt out of DSPAM filtering
}
} That leads me to believe that, when using preferences extension, you should be
} storing the opt information in the database.  Give that a shot.

Aaaaah...yes, that is the key! I updated OptIn to 'on' in the mysql
preferences database and now signatures are being generated for me! Sweet!
Thank you very much!

I'll add the above HTML to the templates for the webUI and re-read that
readme; I had completely missed that.

Now, I do have one issue in that the webUI doesn't seem to show anything
in my history/analysis/quarantine sections, and even though I've forwarded
some missed spam my spam@ address, the performance section doesn't show
any spam being missed [in fact, it shows '0' in all areas for
missed/caught/delivered]. Do I need to uncomment ParseToHeaders to work
with the global s...@example.com address I setup? Will that do anything
for me for the 20 aliases I pick up using my vjl account?

Eg: info@, postmaster@, etc, all are aliased to vjl@ and filtered into
specific mailboxes via procmail. If possible, I'd love for DSPAM to work
its magic on those incoming e.mails as well, but none of them are set To:
vjl@, so I'm not sure dspam will work in that case.

} I am pretty sure that dspam does not log that it is starting / stopping (which
} it should).  As far as what user to run dspam as, starting it as root
} shouldn't matter, but it should be owned by user dspam, with the sticky bit
} set (chmod 4510 ?).  This will run dspam as dspam, and should help with
} permissions problems with the WebUI, when trying to access data in dspam's
} home directory.  Short answer:  No - starting dspam as root doesn't matter.

Thanks for that info; I will check the permissions and make sure things
are set as they should. During my troubleshooting, I changed permissions
to be less secure in case I had bungled something with them up, so I need
to tighten them back anyway.

FWIW, I still don't have any file in: /usr/local/var/dspam/log/ - is there
something beyond "SystemLog on" and "UserLog on" that I need to change in
my /usr/local/etc/dspam.conf?

Also, one final question [well, for now :) ]: LocalMX: I have that set for
the IP of the host that Postfix/dspam is running on. I use Pine on that
server to send mail out, but everyone else uses other clients that are not
located on that system [eg: on our DSL line at the office, where we have a
static IP; I've set everyone up to se the server as their SMTP server via
authentication though some use webmail or connect from home, but all are
using the server itself as their SMTP server via authentication]. So am I
correct in having LocalMX be the public IP address of the postfix/dspam
server itself?

Thanks again - I *greatly* appreciate your replies and help!

/vjl/

--
Vince J. LaMonica       Knowledge is knowing a street is one way.
v...@cullasaja.com  <*>  Wisdom is still looking in both directions.

           Donate today, please: http://www.cancer.org/

!DSPAM:1011,496ce2be150925644219095!