Hi Richard,

   Well that makes sense and adds another element to why you don’t want to
use the radios speaker and microphone. Which amplifier are you using? My
friend Gerry KC0CAT has a small VHF/UHF Amplifier running 50/45 Watts which
he uses with his IC-91AD and it seems to work fine for his mobile rig
digital.

   In reality it’s really not a design flaw with the radio as a single
waterproof connection is ideal to the integrity of the radios water tight
construction. The flaw lies with ICOMs marketing of accessories. They offer
very few alternatives of their own to adapt ancillary equipment to their
radio.

   I purchased the OPC-1797 Connection Cable to use one of my existing ICOM
Speaker Microphones to the radio… but you have this big mess of
interconnection hanging off the radios pigtail.  Of course if you want to
use the data port for data you have to swap the OPC-1797 with the OPC-1799
Data Communications Cable.  Perhaps they need to come out with an “OPC-1800
Multipurpose Cable” that would extend out 9 of the 12 usable pins.  This
brings up another question… why use a 12 Pin connector when they use 9 Pin
connectors on many of their Marine Radios?  Not all 12 Pins are connected.

I’m still looking for the allusive 12-PIN connector itself… but eh… here is
the pin out!

Chassis Part Ref No.    W1

Order No.                         8900016810

Description                      OPC-1792 (Incl. W2)

Chassis Part Ref No.    W2

Order No.                         8900016791

Description                      OPC-1763A

cid:image003.png@01C8D05B.F5F5B0E0

1         Microphone

2         +5V

3         Clone à CPU

4         RS 232C  RX232

5         RS 232C  TX232

6         Ground

7         Speaker

8         Ground

9         OPTV à CPU

10     NC

11     NC

12     NC

Here in Denver  House of Cables is willing to manufacture just about any
type of cable we desire… we just can’t find the plugs manufacture. Another
company here in Colorado manufactures a GPS Speaker Microphone for the
military and has recently gained approval to market it commercially (however
not a submersible variant) that isn’t much larger than the ICOM GPS
Microphone and provides an LCD screen right on the microphone itself, which
when separated from the radio will work as a stand-alone GPS too. Not to
mention the fact the microphone can send text messages using DTMF tone
bursts to other microphone users, keep track of up to 6 other users on your
team, multiple teams etc.  Guess this was based on the military version for
special forces squads or something. But for those with IC-91AD radios they
already have a speaker microphone connector for the radio… just doesn’t
interface with the data port on your radio.

http://infinitygearradios.com/pdfs/GPS-MIC-1-Specs-Q2-WEB.pdf

http://infinitygearradios.com/pdfs/GPS-MIC-1-Connectors-WEB.pdf

Barry A. Wilson KAØBBQ  W0CDS  B

ARES CO District 13 Emergency Coordinator

Serving City and County of Denver

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Cellular 303-748-3665